Woodward’s actiVgen engine speed control is designed specifically for use on Caterpillar diesel engines equipped with ADEM electronic control modules.The actiVgen control does not replace the ADEM control; rather it is used as a separate, external primary speed control with user-configurable PID settings. The actiVgen control gives the user full access to tune the Caterpillar engine directly, which can save time and expense during commissioning. The actiVgen control frees the user to make regular “maintenance” tuning adjustments over time to maintain optimum system performance as operating conditions change.
Benefits of the actiVgen Control
- Dedicated electronic speed control specifically designed to enhance the Caterpillar ADEM engine controller
- Provides full user access to primary speed control PID settings for optimal tuning
- Decreases commissioning time and expense
- Provides CAN/J1939 bus interface with secondary paralleling genset controllers, such as the easYgen™ control
- Calibration is simple, using the Woodward ToolKit service tool. The controller can be calibrated on any IBM-compatible PC, allowing for easy customization and re-programmability.
- Robust package that can be mounted directly on engine skid for reliable control under extreme operating conditions
Caterpillar offers an option in the ADEM called Direct Fuel Control (DFC), which is available across multiple Caterpillar platforms, from the C27 to the CM product lines. Once enabled, DFC allows an external speed control (the actiVgen) to control fuel to diesel engines directly, based on a PWM input to the ADEM. DFC only disables the speed governing function of the ADEM — engine protection and other functions are retained, and it does not affect emissions. The actiVgen control works with the ADEM module to provide accurate fuel control in order to maintain constant engine rpm. It accepts the engine speed signal and sends an actuator position signal to the ADEM for direct speed control. ActiVgen accepts a speed bias from secondary genset controls, like a Woodward easYgenTM, via CAN network. ActiVgen allows the user to tune the dynamics of the engine to provide stability at steady state and optimum response to large load steps, ensuring smooth synchronization, reduced engine hunting, and improved load sharing.